Gone are the day when calling your favourite eat-out for lunch was the quickest thing to do while the kids are running. Self-isolation and social distancing have become a new part of every South African with the country currently on lock-down as a means to limit the spread of the Covid-19 virus.
As we are about to enter the second week of the lock-down, scores of people are experiencing unprecedented levels of anxiety and uncertainty about what lies ahead. To add to the anxiety, a lot of people are forever on the run and have forgotten how to cook quick exciting meals which could be shared around the dinner table.
Our friends at Nestlé have sent us a few hearty, easy-to-make lunch recipes that are also easy on the pocket for the duration of the lock-down period.
- Cook MAGGI 2-Minute Noodles according to the directions on the pack but don’t add the flavour sachet. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the soy sauce, sriracha sauce and vinegar, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a shallow frying pan or wok. Add the garlic and chilli flakes. Stir fry for 10–15 seconds.
- Add the onion and fry for a few seconds before adding in the chicken slices. Fry until the chicken turns white in colour.
- Add the sauce mixture, salt and MAGGI 2-Minute Noodles flavour sachet along with 1/4 cup of water.
- Cook until the chicken is almost done then add the broccoli and bell pepper. Stir fry for less than a minute. Add the boiled noodles and mix well. Remove from heat.
- Serve stir fry garnished with roasted peanuts, spring onion and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Macaroni & Cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, mix milk powder, flour and butter. Gradually add 300ml boiling water, beating constantly.
- Add half of the cheese and continue beating until smooth and creamy. Stir in macaroni, 1 cup of the remaining cheese and salt.
- Transfer to a lightly greased baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove foil, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake further until the cheese is golden.
Braised Chicken with Lemon & Garlic
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Brown chicken pieces by cooking them for 3–4 minutes per side. Remove from saucepan and place chicken into a roasting pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and zest, garlic, evaporated milk, thyme, salt and pepper. Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Cook chicken for 20–30 minutes, occasionally basting it with the cooking liquid.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce and your choice of a side